02 January 2007

DIGIJOURNAL 010--31 DEC 2006

DATELINE: 31DEC06 PB PALIWODA

Happy New Year!

I hope you are all doing well back in the States. It has been awhile since I posted an update, so this entry will be fairly long. We have been busy during Christmas week. We were even able to get Father K down for another visit this week, and Father B made it to PB O’Ryan on the 23rd. Without further yakking, here is the latest.

Thoughts for the Week
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

“On the Day of Judgment, surely, we shall not be asked what we have read but what we have done; not how well we have spoken but how well we have lived.” -Thomas a Kempis

Christmas Eve/Day Services
Many people feel sorry for soldiers during the Christmas Season. It is a tough time for us, for we are missing our families and wishing we were home. Nevertheless, the Christmas services over here tend to be some of the most meaningful I have ever experienced.

We had two services, one morning and one evening, on Christmas Eve and one night service on Christmas Day. We had about 7-12 at each service. I was even able, with much thanks to my wife, to get my hands on an Advent wreath. Our services here are very simple. Here is the basic liturgy…

Opening Prayer
Praise Song
Prayers of Confession and Petition
Praise Song
Scripture and Message
Communion
Apostles’ Creed
Praise Song
Benediction

When we gathered for the Christmas services, what made them special were the people. Since we are small in size, I know every soldier/parishioner personally. Having a chaplain is like having your minister/priest live with you in your home. In Iraq we are all brothers and sisters, at least for this year, for better or worse. Because of the size of the "congregation," I am also able to go to every soldier and serve them communion. We closed out the Christmas Day service with the Advent wreath lit and the lights off. There is something sacred in watching the light flicker on the faces of the soldiers while our voices sang, a capella, Silent Night. After the service we looked up at the stars and saw the very same sky that the magi followed to Bethlehem. When we come together in worship, the effect is to further bind us together like family.

At midnight on Christmas Eve, CPL Crnkovich and I went around to the front gate and guard towers saying hello and Merry Christmas. Despite the cold weather (it does get cold over here), our soldiers were in good spirits. Going around visiting is a good example of how the majority of our ministry is done with and for soldiers who are not necessarily church-goers or chapel attendees. This does not mean that worship on our respective FOBs is exclusive. I believe that, when we come together in our small groups for prayer and worship, we are somehow speaking for all of our soldiers. We are not speaking of dogma or religious sects but instead of the brotherhood and fellowship we all have over here. For a brief moment on Christmas Eve, it felt like there was an island of peace in this war-torn land.

The New Year
Today is New Year’s Eve, and, for some of our young (and not-so-young) soldiers this will be the first New Year’s Eve they will have remembered in many years. I have told most of them to think radically and attend worship. We will see if my requests bear fruit.

Saddam’s Execution
I will not say much about this. I am probably in the minority, but I am not so sure this was a good thing. This is my personal opinion, which means that it is not worth much nor based on extensive research and scholarship, but there was just something sad about it. Do not misunderstand me, Saddam was a genocidal murderer, but I do think that it says something about us as people that we still have to resort to this way of dealing with evil. It speaks about our fall from grace and about how any attempt at justice will always be imperfect.

Recognizing Knocks
CPL Crnkovich and I are getting to the point where enough people are coming by to visit that we are able to recognize who some folks are by the way they knock on the door. I am glad that soldiers are beginning to feel comfortable with Paul and me. I had the honor of following in ministry a very capable and holy man, Tim Cross. He was the battalion chaplain last time 3-8 was deployed. He had a very good relationship with the soldiers. When you live with your congregation, you are always witnessing to who God is and what you believe. For soldiers it is more important to live faithfully than to speak eloquently. I still have many people I need to meet, but I am glad that God has used our UMT (Unit Ministry Team, Armyspeak for the chaplain and his assistant) to reach out in compassion to some of our soldiers.

A Stocking and a Card
I want to thank everyone who sent items for Christmas. You were so generous that every soldier (all 700+) was able to receive one stocking andat least two Christmas cards. Knowing that we have your love and support made Christmas a little easier to bear. Thank you for your faithfulness.

Pray for Healing in the Church
Many of our soldiers are uncomfortable with attending chapel because of what has happened in the past to them in church. Either they were let down by a minister or came to see how hypocritical, at times, church-goers can be. I remind our soldiers that, because it is populated with people, broken people in search of healing and restoration, the Church was never intended to be perfect. One of the reasons Christ called the Church into being was so that we could learn how to forgive one another and practice forbearance with people whom we would not necessarily associate. Many ask me if there is anything they could pray for, and I always tell them for our safety and the safety of our families back at home. Well, I would also like to add forgiveness of the church for being all too human. My prayer is that, while we are deployed, there will be sufficient healing so that, when we return, some of those soldiers who feel alienated will once again be called to be a part of a local congregation.

Techno, Trance, and Street Cred
CPL C has been able to get me hooked on techno and trance. Techno and trance are typically instrumental forms of modern club and dance music featuring mostly keyboards and little or no lyrics. CPL C, who is always quick to point out how old I am, has encouraged this music fetish in hopes that it will enhance my “Street Cred” (the latest generation’s word for street credibility, meaning "with the times," or what my parents' generation would have called “hip”). Unfortunately, after he saw the way I waved my head to the base beat, he soon concluded that having me take up this form of music was a bad idea.

Fergie Videos
I have discovered a new danger for our soldiers on FOB Paliwoda: Fergie videos. I did not know who she was until our S3, MAJ John “Buckhead John” Throckmorton pointed out that she was the former lead singer for the band “Black Eyed Peas.” (For those of you scoring at home, because I did not know who she was and the S3 did, I lost some of my street cred while he gained some. If you are into physics, street cred is like mass: it can never be destroyed (unless you are into quantum physics, where I believe mass can be changed into energy. Guess who had too much coffee this morning).

Back to Fergie. We have big screen TVs in the Paliwoda gym. Usually they are tuned in to an Italian version of MTV. The Europeans have interesting choices when it comes to American pop music and culture. Anyway, everyone seems to stop what they are doing when the latest Fergie video appears. Because of this guys fall off treadmills and drop weights on their feet as they stare at her gyrating all over the screen. I still do not know what she looks like since I always keep my eyes straight ahead when she comes on the screen.

Armyspeak Word for the Week
UMT-Unit Ministry Team comprised of the chaplain and his or her assistant. Usage, “The assistant daydreamed about having another chaplain as part of the UMT.” Sometimes they do not work together as a team, which means that very little ministry gets done. I am blessed in that I have had and continue to have great assistants. I am not so sure what CPL C thinks of me as a chaplain.

Well, I must go get ready for worship. I pray that all is well at home. I have included below a very helpful article for folks looking for resources to educate their children about this and upcoming deployments. God Bless y’all.

Gratia et Veritas,
Warhorse Archangel

My husband is scheduled to deploy soon. I have found many books and resources [to help] military spouse[s] but none for my 5-year-old son. Can you tell me of any good books for military children regarding deployment? Actually, any children's books related to military would be a great help.
Bridgette, Fort Hood, TX Active Army spouse; 4 years

Dear Bridgette:
We'd love to help you in your search for books for your child. A military child is a very important person. Don't you wish there was a book or website that just explained it all to them or at least to us so we could tell them? As spouses, we tend to have an easier time expressing our feelings. Children are sometimes less vocal when it comes to the struggles of military lifestyle.
So, we have scoured libraries, both brick and mortar and virtual, to bring you the most up to date and relevant books for military children. We hope you find this list helpful in your "pre-deployment" conversations with your child as well as in everyday military life.

    A Yellow Ribbon for Daddy by Anissa Mersiowsky
    Daddy Is a Soldier! by Kirsten Hallowell
    While You Are Away by Eileen Spinelli
    A Year Without Dad by Jodi Brunson
    Daddy, Will You Miss Me? by Wendy McCormick
    Uncle Sam's Kids: When Duty Calls by Angela Sportelli-Rehak
    Making New Friends by Jacqueline H. Blumenstock
    Mommy, You're My Hero! by Michelle Ferguson-Cohen
    Daddy, You're My Hero!by Michelle Ferguson-Cohen
    Our 50 States: A Family Adventure Across America by Lynne Cheney
    The Blue Day Book for Kids: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up by Bradley Trevor Greive
    H Is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet by Devin Scillian
    A is for America by Devin Scillian
    Dear Soldier: Heartfelt Letters from America's Children by Barbara W. Baldwin, Amber Baldwin D'Amico, Heather Baldwin Duff
    I Miss You!: A Military Kid's Book About Deployment by Beth Andrews
    The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman, Ross Campbell
    The Magic Box: When Parents Can't Be There to Tuck You In by Marty Sederman, Seymour Epstein
    Night Catch by Brenda Ehrmantraut
    Lulu's Rose Colored Glasses by Gretchan Pyne
    An American Flag for Their Father by Annmarie Hickey Georgopolis
    A Very Long Time by Geri Timperley
    Ned And The General: A Lesson About Deployment by Ron Madison
    Daddy's in Iraq, But I Want Him Back! by Carmen R. Hoyt
    When Is Daddy Coming Home? by Richard Carlton Haney
    Mommy, Don't Go by Elizabeth Crary
    My Daddy is a Soldier by Kirk Hilbrecht
    Deployment Journal for Kids by Rachel Robertson
    The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
    War? I'm Scared! by WeWriteKids
    A Paper Hug by Stephanie Skolmoski
    The Hero in My Pocket by Marlene Lee
    Footsteps Around the World: Relocation Tips for Teens by Beverly D. Roman


Many of these books' authors and publishers have websites that include additional material in support of military children and their attempt to make the most of military life. All of these books can be purchased through the FP Booklist found at www.fieldproblems.com/booklist.shtml

Have other questions? For more information or to submit your Field Problem, visit www.FieldProblems.com or e-mail FromTheField@FieldProblems.com. Please include your first name, location, branch of service, and years in/associated with the military. Questions may be edited for length and clarity. Field Problems™ reserves the right to read on the air and/or publish on its website or in any other form, the emails and letters that we receive. By sending us a letter or email, you agree to these terms.

No comments: