17 October 2006

DISPATCH 001--11 SEP 2006

Dear Friends,

I cannot think of a more solemn day to begin this series of letters than the day that, for many, marks the beginning of the War on Terror. Five years ago I was having breakfast with the secretary and choir director of the small church I was serving in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin. Someone came into the restaurant announcing that a plane had hit one of the towers of the World Trade Center. I thought it was probably some crazy person in a Cessna who had had a bad day. After we heard that it was a jet, I rushed home to see the news. On tape delay I watched as the planes hit the towers. I said a prayer and thought that at least the towers did not fall. When the first one came down I uttered my first profanity since my days as an artilleryman. Later that day, we held a prayer service at the church. To this day I still cannot get the images out of my head of the Towers coming down.

Where were you five years ago? Has time dulled the emotions felt that day, or are they still as fresh as ever? As a nation, have we lost some of the moral clarity that seemed to crystallize on that day?

Each one of us has to answer that question for ourselves, but we are living in denial if we do not believe that there is a clear moral component involved in this current conflict.

As we go about our daily duties getting prepared for our upcoming deployment, it is easy to lose sight of the big picture. It is important to recognize that any deployment will inevitably involve a level of suffering and sacrifice on behalf of our soldiers and their families. It is not easy to say goodbye, to leave friends, family, and loved ones, and to place ourselves in harm’s way. But a sacrifice must have a purpose, a meaning, if it is to be worthwhile. Like the contractions of birth precede the blessings of a child, what will our separation bring forth?

I believe that our soldiers represent the best that America has to offer. And our soldiers could not do what they do unless they have the support of you: our friends and families back home. Peace on the home front means a more focused and ready soldier downrange. As soldiers, we must depend upon one another completely and without question, so any distraction not only hurts the soldier but also adversely affects the whole team. This is why it is vital that we take care of one another not only in the combat zone but also back home as well.

My hope and prayer is that I, your unit chaplain, can help us accomplish both missions. I can be one of the links to your loved one while he or she is deployed. I also plan to write a weekly update communicating not only the nuts and bolts of our activities but also what is going on in the hearts and minds of our soldiers. The dispatches will include some hints, suggestions, and advice to help us face the upcoming challenges of deployment. If you have any questions or suggestions, please do [not] hesitate to contact me.

As the finals weeks before we leave wind down, I want you to know that I am praying not only for your soldier but also for you. You can email me any specific prayer requests that you might have. One of the foundational aspects of the Lord’s call to bring me back on active duty was knowing that I would be serving folks like yourself and your soldier-family member. There are few callings higher than the one to serve those few who are willing to sacrifice so much for so many. I pray that I will be up to the task. God bless.

Grace, Mercy, and Peace,
CH (CPT) Kevin Wainwright
Warhorse Chaplain


Next Week
-What Does a Chaplain Do?

No comments: