27 October 2006

DIGIJOURNAL 001--23 OCT 2006

DATELINE: 23OCT06 FOB PALIWODA

Hello everyone. I am writing from FOB Paliwoda where I will be stationed in the foreseeable future. I hope everyone is well, and I thank you for the many emails and prayers of support that you have sent my way. The FOB is located near the Iraqi city of Balad, which is predominantly Shia surrounded by Sunni neighbors. Balad has been in the news recently, and, without getting into details, things have not been as bad as they are reported on TV.

I will share a few random thoughts about my experience so far.

I joked with the guys that I was disappointed when I landed at Anaconda (the biggest logistical base in Iraq). I expected pretty ladies to be placing flower wreaths around our necks as we deplaned. Instead, we had a tired, grumpy air force loadmaster yelling at us to move smartly.

The heat was not as bad as I remembered, at least for this time of year. I suspect that the summer in Central Texas (Ft. Hood) did wonders for my acclimation.

After a few days at Anaconda, Paul, my chaplain assistant, and I hopped a ride on a combat patrol heading out to our new home, FOB Paliwoda. We were, or rather I was, itching to get to our FOB, and the Wainwrights are not known for their patience. It was my first time on the road since November of 04. Our area of operation borders the Tigris River. This means that the foliage near the river is almost tropical turning to desert as one moves away from the Tigris and its canals. We also get the added bonus of bugs during this rotation.

Our base is on the outskirts of Balad, a primarily Shia city surrounded by Sunni. Sunni insurgents have been trying to incite sectarian violence by attacking Shia and by lobbing mortars into the city. For the first few days we were here, the Sunni insurgents would mortar the Shia, and we would mortar the insurgents. It has died down. The news has made it sound like the military has lost all control of the situation in Iraq. This is just not the case. While violence is up, our guys are doing an admirable and effective job of eliminating the insurgents on all sides. At the same time, if we truly want to get out of here, we are helping the Iraqi Army and the Iraqi Police to do their jobs. Americans are notoriously impatient, and we will have to be patient while the Iraqis learn how to protect themselves.

We had four services this week: two Protestant, one Catholic, and one LDS. Ministry to active duty soldiers is definitely different than to the National Guard. Our soldiers are younger and less trusting. They want to see if you are genuine in your concern for them and in your desire to share some of the same hardships. I told Paul that I am in the trust earning phase. While the soldiers are slowly warming up to me, I still have much to prove that I am worthy of their trust.

We found out that the insurgents have instructed their snipers to target medics and chaplains. Great. All this means is that I will not be wearing my cross when I leave the FOB. Paul and I plan to go out on some of the patrols with our soldiers. The last thing the chaplain wants to be is a liability, so I am going to try to be as inconspicuous as I can. My favorite saying is that I am my wife’s favorite husband, so I am going to do what I need to do to not earn the enemy marksmanship badge: the Purple Heart.

I am getting worried about the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays. My hope is that some folks will read this and think about adopting some of our soldiers, especially our young, single ones. Whether it is letters, goody boxes, or just a friendly email, it helps them to know that despite what the news says our folks at home still support them. If you would like to support our soldiers with mail and goody items, please do not hesitate to email me at kevin.wainright@us.army.mil or kevin.wainwright@hotmail.com. My snail mail address is:
Wainwright, Kevin
HHC 3-8 CAB, 1CD
FOB Paliwoda
APOAE 09391

Last time I was here, there was an abundance of items waiting for us. Things are slim now. Paul and I are trying to put together a book and DVD library as well as a table for toiletries and other goodies. Please feel free to send any of the following items to my address, and we will make sure it gets out to soldiers. I will also make sure to keep you updated on what you sent with pictures and thank yous. Below is a list of items that soldiers could use:

-new or used books
-new or used dvds
-new or used computer games (Playstation or Xbox)
-hand sanitizer
-flushable wipes
-gum
-chewing tobacco
-chewing gum
-microwave popcorn
-snacks
-toothpaste
-toothbrushes
-deodorant
-liquid soap
-laundry detergent
-sunscreen
-new or used magazines

Again, I want to thank you for your prayers and support. Our soldiers are great people doing great things. I am very blessed that God has called and allowed me to serve with such fine men and women. I love you all.

Warhorse Archangel

No comments: