06 November 2006

DISPATCH 006--02 NOV 2006

Hello from Iraq,

I am writing to you from FOB O'Ryan where part of B and C Companies are located. CPL Crnkovich and I have been trying to get around to see our soldiers on all the different FOBs. Monday we went down to Logistical Support Area Anaconda (LSAA). While there we were able to visit with some of our soldiers in E, HHC, and F Companies. It is amazing to see how many of our soldiers are doing so many different things. I am very thankful that our battalion has made it through these first thirty days without a significant incident. I remind God of how thankful we are every morning and every night.

While we have been at O'Ryan, I have been reflecting on the meaning of a much overused word: Hero. In this modern age, I think we often confuse the word with celebrity, power, or wealth. It is also overused to describe what can often be every day, normal activities.

I think that I see what a true hero is by watching our soldiers doing their jobs and carrying out their responsibilities. It is no secret that we have already come into contact with several Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs). A few have detonated, but none have caused any significant injuries. What is amazing is how the very same soldiers who were hit earlier will gear up and go out on another patrol the very same day. I have gone out a couple of times with C Co. My trips have been blessedly boring, but even on these trips I deal with the fear that creeps in as we get ready to leave. I try to push it to the back of my mind, or it would interfere with my focus on the mission. Compared to many of our soldiers, I am rarely in danger. My admiration for them, my thoughts for them, and the honor I have for being even remotely associated with them reinforces the hidden treasures of being called to minister to our military. I do believe that, by doing those every day things, our soldiers are heroes.

Yesterday I was part of a group that met with the city council of a local Iraqi city. They received all of us with open arms. We also found it interesting that they received me with a positive attitude. Over here, their faith saturates everything they do. Before every meeting, we all ask for God's blessing. “Inshallah,” or “God willing,” is a favorite saying. I reminded the leaders at the meeting that both myself and many of our churches are praying for the Iraqi people. In worship on Sunday our soldiers pray for the Iraqi people. This always surprises them a little because many Iraqis believe Americans are atheistic materialists who live shallow lives. We should not be surprised since they are fed a steady diet of American Television over here. Their favorite shows are Jerry Springer and Baywatch. I shared with them that the vast majority of the American people want to do good things for the Iraqi people and want their nation to heal, especially since that would mean that we would get to come home.

Well, I must be off to visit some of our guys and gals. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Again, if you have any questions or want to pass on a message, please do not hesitate to write. We love you all.

Gratia et Veritas,
Chaplain Kevin Wainwright

No comments: